Do I really need tiny house insurance?
You may be thinking of purchasing, or building, your first tiny house. Before you do, you need to first find out if you are going to be able to purchase house insurance for your tiny house. There are limited insurers interested in insuring tiny houses. And some of the insurance companies that do insure tiny houses will want them to be built by a certified builder, or if it is a tiny house on wheels they will want it to meet RV standards. If you are planning on building your own tiny house be sure to check your options before you start. Because, yes, you do need tiny house insurance.
Have you purchased house insurance before? Do you know what house insurance usually covers? Do all insurance companies insure tiny houses? No they don’t!
What does regular house insurance usually cover?
1. Perils such as:
• Damage caused by windstorms, fire, lightning,
• theft, vandalism,
• explosions, falling objects, impact by aircraft,
• smoke damage, riot,
• accidental glass breakage
• transportation of personal property,
• collapse due to weight of snow, ice etc.
2. Covers the house and detached structures like garage, shed, fence
3. Third party liability=covers you if someone is injured on your property or if you accidentally damage a neighbors property
4. Identity Fraud = recovery and expense to a certain limit
5. Personal property replacement cost due to theft, fire etc. (includes bicycles, jewelry, furs, stamp collections) there will be limits, see policy
6. Dishonesty of others l credit/debit card fraud to a limit
7. Re keying property
8. Family members property in health care facility
What does regular house insurance usually not cover?
2. Mold damage,
3. Sewer backup,
4. Damage due to earth movement (sinkholes),
5. Damage from termites,
6. Injury or damage due to nuclear accident,
7. Some acts of terrorism
Do all insurance companies insure tiny houses?
No they do not. In fact in some States and Provinces you may have difficulty finding an insurer. That is why it is important you do your research before purchasing.
Who provides tiny house insurance?
• One company that currently insures tiny houses is Darrell Grenz Insurance in Portland OR.
Does this insurance cover the same perils as described above?
• No, tiny house insurance is somewhat different, but many of the same things are covered.
What tiny home policies are currently available through Darrell Ganz Insurance?
1. Stationary tiny homeowners policy
2. Transit tiny home policy
3. Construction/builders risk tiny home policy
What coverage is available for tiny houses with Darrell Ganz Insurance?
1. Coverage for the tiny home
2. Coverage for personal property, including theft of property
3. Coverage for separate structures
4. Loss of use
5. Personal liability
6. Medical payments to others
What is not covered with this tiny house insurance?
1. Be sure and ask the insurer this very important question.
You do not have to purchase all of the above coverage however think carefully about what you purchase. Liability insurance certainly is important as if anyone is injured on your property you may need it.
Darrell Ganz says, “Tiny homes can be on owned or leased land. We can also do owner occupied or tenant occupied.
Payment options: Annually (full term premium + taxes/fees) or Monthly (25% of annual premium plus taxes/fees) and 9 monthly payments
Currently we are only is some states but we are working on making the coverage available for all 50 states and Canada.”
For more information on what tiny home policies are available and what States or Provinces these policy are available, contact:
4784 N. Lombard St, Suite B, #101
Portland, OR 97203
(503) 206-6736 Office
(888) 487-4528 Toll Free Fax
(503) 267-9342 Cell