According to a survey conducted in 2015, the USA had the most number of people living in tiny houses, making up 87.9% of all small homes in the world. It is quite evident that Americans are into downsizing nowadays. Having to pay mortgage for many years, most people had decided to take a leap and live in a reasonably small but very functional home.
Most tiny home owners are from the age range of 22-30, comprising 25.1% of the total number of homeowners. It’s also interesting to note that women had shown more interest in small houses, amounting to 52% in 2013 and an increase to 64.1% in 2015. Apparently, there are more women builders and enthusiasts in the United States compared to only 34% male owners.
Over the years, many people have shown interest in building a tiny home. But their common concern is how much do tiny houses cost and how to save money in construction?
A ballpark figure of $15000 to $80000 is needed to build a tiny home complete with furniture and fixtures. A simple house using re-purposed materials and with the help of friends in construction will amount to more or less $15000.
The following are 6 tips on how to save money on the construction of a tiny home:
- Learn how to construct simple structures in the house. If budget is extremely tight, it is necessary to help in building to save labor costs. Friends and family can also lend a hand in simple tasks. It is recommended to ask an expert opinion from professional builders and watch tutorial videos to learn how to construct simple home structures. However, one should bear in mind that electrical and plumbing set up should be done by professionals.
- Use old materials and re-purpose them to give a brand new look. An old table will look good after cleaning and re-painting. Roofing materials and wood that are still in good form will surely help in tightening one’s belt.
- Try to look at Craigslist.org to see if there are any useful materials. Craigslist is a website for advertisements for housing, jobs, services and items for sale. There are a lot of people posting materials they want to get rid of. Some of them are actually giving them away for free.
- Visit a local second-hand building supplies shop. From doors and windows to bathroom and kitchen needs, tiny home builders will surely find construction materials at affordable prices. Come back every now and then to see if there are new items that might come in handy.
- Planning plays a crucial part in building a distinct tiny home. List down the materials to be used. Start gathering early to ensure availability. This will prevent the owner from settling on expensive materials when their preferred ones are not available.
- Expert builders recommend buying a reasonably affordable and high quality window before building the frame of the house. It will be more costly if windows are purchased last. According to them, one should frame the house to fit the windows not the other way around.
How much tiny houses cost can ultimately affect the functionality of the home. But by being frugal and wise in selecting the right building materials, one can still enjoy a beautiful, unique and functional tiny home even with a limited budget.